Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Reflections on Teachers' Facebook Use

The article assigned is about the professionalism question of teachers using Facebook. The purpose of Facebook is for people to connect on Internet, sharing photos, interesting information, or playing games etc... I did not understand why people think teachers should not have a Facebook account? Isn't that a limitation to a teacher's social life? I couldn't disagree the fact that there should be a fine line between teachers and students relationship in real life and in Facebook. But how about privacy settings? Teachers can actually make a list of Facebook "friends" that would not be able to see some of the private information. Wouldn't that be the best of both? Teachers can't set negative examples for students, students can still connect with the teacher in a professional way online. I personally have a few teachers as my "friends" on Facebook. Some are my former teachers so it is nice to reconnect with them with more convenience (Yay for technology!) I know how people say what you put on Internet CANNOT be removed, but honestly, if it's not there, as a student I really won't bother to find an inappropriate picture of my respected teacher... It's just disturbing at many levels.
Teachers take up a huge role as role models in  students' life, so even if they are "friends" on Facebook, keep it professional and appropriate would be the good way to go, instead of banning teachers out of our dear Facebook. 

No comments:

Post a Comment