
When it comes to the topic of technology use in classroom, I chose to interview Ms. Marilyn Rogers, a 2nd grade teacher in Sunnyside Elementary School. I have worked in Ms. Rogers' classroom in my senior year as my practicum experience. She is a very passion about education and I thought she would be a good candidate when it comes to the topic of educational technology. So here's the interview:
LF: So Ms. Rogers, among all the technological tools in school, which one is your favorite?
MR: I really like this new document camera. It has been very convenient to teach the kids with this tool. We were learning clocks and time unit, money unit, it is easier to show them the clocks and coins through this camera than holding them up. You know, it creates chaos when all of them are trying to stand up to take a closer look. I also really like the intercom system... We don't have a big school, but it is always great to get messages immediately from other offices.
LF: I see. Seeing all sorts of different tools you have, is there any frustration with them?
MR: Ah, yes there is a lot. The eSIS system! The computers! Ah they just drive me crazy at the end of school day after the kids go home. I feel very unintelligent when it comes to computers, sometimes I thought there is something wrong this them, but at the end it is always me... I honestly still have problems with the copy machine!
LF: I am sure the technology people in the school can always help you out. Next to the frustrations, do you have any misconception about the technology use in classroom?
MR: Hm, I never really had any misconception. They are just new things to the classrooms, and I am sure the students are going to be very excited to new things, it's their nature.
LF: Are there any hurdles for you when it comes to technology though? Have you ever heard of the other teachers having hard time with new technology in classrooms?
MR: There has to be hurdles. For teachers, it is like they are learning again as students. And they have to learn fast because this is what they are going to teach the students! They are just coming out non-stop, once you settled when computers there are new things coming out again... It is truly a life-long process.
LF:Is there any great success use of technology in your classroom?
MR: Probably doing lessons with the document camera. We don't have a lot of technological tools provided in individual classrooms. Since computers are only for teachers, the document camera is the only one that students could use in learning. Other than that, we also go to computer labs for them to use the typing software.
LF: Is there any inspiration for you to use technology?
MR: Well, I can't think of a specific inspiration... Except technology is pretty much taking over the curriculum. Every student knows how to use computer. It does make my workload a lot lighter when I don't have to hand write the grades and calculations. Technology will save a lot of time if you know how to take good use of it.
LF: What do you the future have for the technology in classrooms?
MR: There would be a lot of expansions in technology in the future. I can just imagine how every student would have a lap top in front of them the whole day. Assignments, activities are up there in Internet. Everything just has to deal with technology, I am not even positive if I am going to have my job a few years later.
LF: Well I am sure you will Ms. Rogers, the kids just love you. And thank you so much for answering these questions for me.
MR: You are welcome, anytime!

No comments:
Post a Comment